- Something beautiful is a self-imposed initiative to find a visual feast for each day of this year.
- The “I Live for Art” Tour-Day 4
- Time is racing and could easily become a blur but for the writing. The days are ridiculously full. Yesterday the Museum of Modern Art. A lovely talk with an older artist. I expect she was too old to be a hippy in the 70s but held on to the free and creative idea of what she wished she had been. We met sitting together gazing at vanGogh’s Starry Night. Salmon colored top. Long dull-gold lace skirt. Large yellow daisy propped behind her ear. She paints flowers and once took a painting seminar in Provence.We have enjoyed sharing a moment. There is no need to make it into more. Eventually, she gets up smiles and we go on separately.
- There is a special exhibition of modernists from O’Keefe to Hopper–and these are my MOMA favorites. Photos by Weston, Imogene Cunningham, and Steiglitz portraits of John Marin and Ansel Adams. Still as inspiring as the first i time I was introduced.
After, three of us take off to paint by the boat pond In Central Park. As fine an afternoon as you can imagine. We talk about the art we’ve seen and the art we are making.
- It is a joyful thing to share this particular dialect. The sun drops from the sky too quickly and we head back to the hotel to dress for the theatre. The Book of Mormons is every bit as outrageous as we have heard. Not surprising given it is the brain child of the South Park writers. the decision is made earlier to debrief the show at Juniors over cocktails and desserts. On the way, we encounter the full gamut of all that is strange, wild, and big in Gotham. Including guitar playing cowboys in nothing but boots, hat, and tiny whities; a voluptuous miss in nothing but body paint and a g string——and….wait for it. The minions! It is not my style to track down celebrities, t– I break the rule this one time. The minions pose with me but are shameless about making sure I know that his was done for a tip, not out of the goodness of their little minion hearts.
- A good day. Cynthia has introduced me to my first sweet Manhattan cocktail. There has been art, an Italian sausage, painting in the park, theatre, minions, and cheesecake (of all kinds:) Life is good. La vita è buona.